COBA MAYA VILLAGE
The mayas populated the Yucatan Peninsula, their culture flourished since 300 BC. until 1524 AD and their legacy was handed down from generation to generation.
This unique expedition was awarded as the cultural tour of the year by the Federal Tourism Board in 2015 for providing an approach to this wonderful culture.
Visit the impressive archaeological site of Coba, travel its ancient roads to reach the highest maya temple in the area. Enter nature and encounter an authentic maya community, share with a local family the secrets of their ancestors.
Swim in the wonderful cenote of crystalline water, be part of a maya ceremony of blessings and enjoy a delicious lunch of typical food in a small maya village.
Photographers of the maya communities will take great pictures of you during the activities!
- transportation in small groups
- traditional lunch
- archaeological tour guide
- entrance fee to Coba
- bring comfortable shoes (that hold the heel and preferably cover the fingers)
- change of clothes
- swim suit
- extra shirt
- cash or credit card for crafts and photos
- only biodegradable sunblock and insect repellent is permitted
- This expedition is not recommended for persons with any type of disability or people who suffer heart conditions, respiratory or back problems.
- It is not recommended for pregnant women or children under 6 years old.
- People under the influence of alcohol or toxic substances won’t be allowed to participate.
- For safety reasons, hands should be kept free, the use of cameras and recording devices of any kind (including cell phones, or tablets) is not allowed, except for “action cam” (Go Pro) style, only if it is assembled on a chest or head mount during the excursion.
This expedition operates under all weather conditions.
6:30 to 8:00 a.m. Pick up at your hotel (within Riviera Maya or Cancun) or a predetermined location (closest to you) if not staying at a hotel. This will be confirmed with you upon booking.
09:00 to 10:00 a.m. (Arrival to Coba, or Mayan villages -according to the logistics-).
MAYA VILLAGES (3 hours)
Tres Reyes Community: you will interact with the mayas of the region as they share their customs and traditions. Be astonished by the life they have lived for generations, get to know a typical maya house and their lifestyle. Learn how this town has evolved with the arrival of ecotourism, observe its current lifestyle and its economic and social growth.
• Maya ceremony: delve into the natural wonders and participate in an authentic ceremony of blessings carried out by a maya shaman of the community and scented by copal.
• Swimming: a refreshing dip in the crystal-clear water of the beautiful cenote (sinkhole).
• Traditional meal: enjoy an authentic maya menu including soup, chicken, vegetables, rice, beans and hand-made corn tortillas.
COBA (2 hour guided tour at the archeological site)
Visit temples and the legendary ballgame of this majestic archeological site. Follow the paths to arrive at the Nohoch Mul, the highest temple around, from the top of which you will enjoy breathtaking views of the amazing jungle that surrounds the site. Optional bike rental is available at the site.
4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Approximate return to your hotel/drop off location
Submit your review